Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Gave Proof Through the Night, That Our Flag Was Still There

I can be cynical. I know it. If you are fortunate enough to know me, you know it, too. But I can surprise you when you least expect it! Case in point.... I love the 4th of July! And not just because it is usually accompanied by an incredible Macy*s One Day Spectacular Sale, and a good head start on an impressive summer tan! I am not particularly patriotic, but Bar-B-Q's, little kids, and fireworks can warm anyone's heart, especially that little kid who commented on the fireworks, "They are so loud, they are making my shirt rattle!" This is the same kid who also thought he saw a face appear in the fireworks. God bless him.

But the biggest reason why I love Independence Day is that I love the National Anthem. It really is a tremendous song. Considering if I were living in colonial times, I totally would have been a Revolutionary War deserter, I think this is significant. A good singing of it can give me goosebumps and make me teary. The song embodies a truly inspiring little tale. Anyway, I only watch the Superbowl to see the singing of the National Anthem. A person who sings it, is given the opportunity to really achieve greatness, but it is absolutely a make or break moment. More often than not, the singing of it is either amazing or horrendous (Patti LaBelle, anyone?) I am just interested in that one shining moment. A singer and a microphone. Will he or she nail it? Do too much? Ruin it completely? Or strike that perfect balance and achieve immortality? This is getting to be a bit much.

Top 5:
5. James Taylor and his son
4. Beyonce
3. Cher
2. Josh Groban
1. Whitney (of course)
Unfortunately, there really aren't too many really great ones out there.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?