Monday, June 05, 2006

Roland Garros, Part Deux. Mistakes Were Made

Ok, quick tidbit into the Kettle...I have no problem admitting that I have made a mistake. Really. And you readers may find this shocking to believe, but I have to make such admissions frequently. It can really get you down. Anyway, so mistakes at the French. YEE-IKES! Nadia, what the hell? An embarrassing straight set loss in the first round to Japan's Akiki Morigami, who probably has never even seen red clay, horrendous. She attributed the flop to a slight injury acquired in early morning practice. I attribute my flop in picking her to win the title in choosing with my heart and not my head, which I almost always impulsively do. Other horrendous mistakes in week #1?

1. Maria Sharapova losing 7-5 in the third set, when she was up 5-1 to Dinara Safina. Surprisingly though, I accurately foresaw Safina's victory over Sharapovs last week. Remember when Safina's hottie older bro Marat dropped his shorts at the French a couple years ago? It was heaven.
2. Amelie Mauresmo, who I chose to make it to the final. Again, I was going with my heart. This should have a no brainer that she would crumble. One day someone will write a psychology text book about this flaky lesbian. Seriously.
3. 2004 surprise champ Anastasia Myskina lost the first set to JHH in 25 minutes. This one-Slam-wonder should have just asked for a do-over.

Ok, so we are left with the following quarterfinal match-ups:
1. Venus (11) vs. Nicole Vaidisova (16)
2. Safina (14) vs. Kuznetsova (8)
3. JHH (5) vs. Anna-Lena Groenefeld (13)
4. Hingis (12) vs. Clijsters (2)
I got 4 out of the 8, by the way, for all you score-keepers!

All of a sudden I am pulling for a Venus/Hingis final. We can all pretend it's 1998! And Venus can put her beads back in! Holla if you're with me! Sorry, I thought I would give that a try.

1. Venus vs. Vaidisova. Lately, Venus has fallen in the early stages of a slam due to sloppy play, but you can never rule her out at all, especially the further into a slam you get. She will pummel the inexperienced 16 year old in this quarter, and due to sheer athleticism, I like her to get to the final.
2. Safina vs. Kuznetsova. I am sticking with my original guns and going with Safina as the surprise semi-finalist of the tourney. Kutzy can be feisty, but fickle, and Safina is coming into her own.
3. JHH vs. Anna-Lena Groenefeld, who will only be memorable for having the worst name ever. JHH in about 37 minutes, annoyingly.
4. Hingis vs. Clijsters. The best quarter-final by far and the only to go 3 sets. Neither has dropped a set, and Clijsters has the power here, but for some reason I feel like the stars are just aligning for Hingis this year. And every newspaper in the world may will her to a win here. I am shakily going with Hingy.

Semis:
Venus v. Safina
JHH v. Hingis

Venus will eek out a victory over Safina, in two tough sets.
JHH annoyingly will do the same to Hingis.

Final:
Venus vs. JHH
The entire world will be praying for Venus to literally sweep up the court with this Belgian bi-atch. I think she can do it. She clearly has the power to blow her off the court. Let's tighten up those errors though, V so I dont kill myself while I am watching early next Sunday morning. I could easily be wrong, but I will never ever choose JHH to win anything anyway.


And the men?
For some reason I am thinking Federer may be able to get the victory from Nadal here.

Obvious Nadal sidebar: Could Rafa, from the neck down, be any hotter? And the tight pants and sleeveless shirt.....a) yum b) i love that he is just throwing it in your face. Well done.

Lastly, despite Amelie's shaky play, let's give credit where credit is due, her body is awesome.

Comments:
Appropriately the Amelie picture is in the men's section.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?