Friday, February 10, 2006

This Week, On One-Dimensional Island


If I may begin with one disclaimer - and a quick nod to my bestest friend "Pot" - my posts will not only be television related. Seriously. However, I am finding it difficult to keep mum, regarding the current goings-on on Lost, or heretofore referred to as One-Dimensional Island. How this show has fallen to such a level of ridiculousness is honestly beyond me. And not that I don't mind a little ridiculousness every now and again, but One-Dimensional Island is picking up major awards left and right, and I just don't get it. If it could embrace its potential campy fun, a la Melrose Place, maybe it would be watchable again. But no. The writing is laughable. Unbelievable plot twists do not equal good writing. And the acting? Oh where to begin. This show has surpassed Alias as confusing actor's slowly and emphatically spelling out the obvious as high drama. You know what I mean. We all remember

Ana Lucia: I KILLED SOMEONE HE LOVED!
Clare: THEY STOLE MY BABY!
Michael: THEY TOOK MY BOY!
Jack: I NEED YOU TO (insert any command)

Not to mention the fine art of the rhetorical question. We can all repeat the inevitable Locke/Jack confrontation:
Locke: Why can't you trust anything?
Jack: Why do you have so much faith?

Anyway, I won't beat a dead-horse. (Are we buying the sudden, magical appearance of Kate's horse?) Yes, it probably has some larger symbolic meaning, but at this point, who cares. The French Woman, with bangs, Desmond, our hatch-inhabitant, Mr. Eko's long-lost brother, how many more eyerolls will we be subjected to before it starts to make sense? Increasing the suspense? No. Boring? Yes.

Final thought: Sawyer, the new island Boss, continues to have a personality summed up by a scowl, and a bad one at that.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?